Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Quick caesar salad with eggs

Often we want something quick and tasty for dinner, but that all too often means frozen pizza or pasta with sauce from a jar. That's all well and good sometimes, but I'm bored of it and don't think it's all that healthy. I recently made this dinner salad for myself and Eric and it's actually pretty tasty. I would even serve it to guests for an informal dinner.

Melt a little butter in a (non-stick) frying pan over medium heat.
Once the butter is melted, crack 2 eggs per person into the frying pan.
Salt and pepper the eggs.

While the eggs are getting going, get out some individual salad bowls and place a good amount of greens in each. I like to use arugula or spinach for this salad.

Check on the eggs - once the whites start to congeal, I add a few tablespoons of water to the pan and use a spatula to slightly lift the eggs so that the water gets under the eggs and starts to boil. I place a loose-fitting lid on the pan, which steams the tops of the eggs. The water also keeps the bottom of the eggs from sticking to the pan.

Back to the salad - drizzle Caesar salad dressing (or another dressing of your choice) over the greens, and throw on any other veggies you might like to add.

Take the lid off the eggs - they should be just about done. The yellows should be firming up a bit. Let the rest of the water boil away and take the yellows to the firmness that you prefer - I like my eggs with slightly congealed yolks.

Spatula the eggs onto the greens, which will wilt slightly. Toss on some croutons if you have 'em or serve some toasted french bread on the side, and you've got yourself a quick and satisfying dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog